Monday, June 2, 2008

Next stop, the Corn Palace

DAY ONE

So, we were off and rolling, through the great Midwest. Without a Mapquest printout or a real atlas, I had to trust my instincts. Trudging through South Dakota, I knew how far I was based on so-called 'landmarks.' First it was the Corn Palace, then well over a hundred signs for Wal Drug, then a series of billboards for crocodiles and kimoto dragons at the Reptile Gardens. Finally, I started to see signs for Mt. Rushmore, so I knew I was getting close to my place for the night: Rapid City.



BILLBOARD CORN PALACE PUNS

"Marvelous Ear-cetecture"
"Cornsider Visiting"
"A-Maize-ing"
"We are all ears"
"Ears to you!"
"Corn-ceptual Art"

For the record, I stopped at all the previously mentioned tourist traps, including the corn palace. Had I not left Omaha an hour late (because I was having one last slice of Zio's pizza with my best friends) I would have made it to the Corn Palace in time to see Barack Obama. Instead, I rolled in right as they were taking down the "Change you can believe in" sign. Symbolic? I hope not.

DAY TWO
That was yesterday. Today was petting 600 pound, 127 year old tortoises, Mt. Rushmore, lunch in Deadwood at the bar where Wild Bill Hickock was shot, and a drive through snow capped mountains of Montana.





We rolled into Bozeman Montana at 10 p.m., right under the arch of the biggest, clearest rainbow I have ever seen. I think it has something to do with my mom's good karma rubbing off on me, but "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was playing on the CD player. Perfect.



Now I'm off to sleep. More tomorrow night from Idaho, and maybe (if you're lucky) more puns.

2 comments:

Zachami said...

What a corny blog post. Hope you're enjoying the trip, and good luck at the PI.

Homie, out.

Amphetamine said...

sweeeet.