Thursday, June 12, 2008

Giving a holla for political cartoons

I read (in the P-I of course!) that Robert Mugabe's goons went out and arrested his political opponent earlier this week just a few days before they have a runoff election. Because the original election was too close, they're holding another one just between the two leading candidates. As many issues as I have with Zimbabwe, I can't help but think how different the good ol' U. S. of A would be if we had a runoff election in 2000. I just can't let it go.


I don't know what it is about personification, but I loves it.


In my mind, you just can't make Bush look stupid enough. It gives me joy inside every time I see a cartoon dumping on him, and I mean just ridiculing him. Come to think of it, though, I never see any cartoons make him look not too bad. Damn liberal media.



In other news, one of the Jesuits at Creighton always sends me funny emails, most of which I delete, but yesterday there was a really funny one. It was a list of metaphores and similies in high school essays, and some of them made me laugh out loud at my desk. I'll share a few:

John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met. - Russell Beland, Springfield

The thunder was ominous sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play. - Barbara Fetherolf, Alexandria

The door had been forced, as forced as the dialogue during the interview portion of "Jeopardy!" - Jean Sorensen, Herndon

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something. - John Kammer, Herndon

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools. - Brian Broadus, Charlottesville

It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall. - Brian Broadus, Charlottesville

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't. - Russell Beland, Springfield

The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and "Jeopardy" comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30. - Roy Ashley, Washington

Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the center. -Russell Beland, Springfield

He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree. - Jack Bross, Chevy Chase

1 comment: