Thursday, April 24, 2008

The witch is dead, hopefully


Now, I know I don't usually say anything real on my blog, but I would just like to state something for the record. I am so happy that Robert Mugabe lost the election in Zimbabwe. Even if he pulls a George W. and somehow gets into the presidency anyways (which it looks like he might try to do), at least this election proved that he can't strong arm and intimidate the vast majority of the country anymore.

For the past few decades he's either fixed the election, intimidated the people to vote for him, or scare them with threats of invasions from other countries. Now, he lost by a small margin and I'm wondering why he didn't just fix this election, too. No matter to me, he lost. His reign is over.

I had to read the biography of Robert Mugabe for my History of Race in Southern Africa class, and although I couldn't read the whole thing, one thing was abundantly clear. This man is crazy. He's been the president in Zimbabwe for decades, and he's been compared with Idi Amin, for anyone who saw "Last King of Scotland." I mean, Mugabe kills his own people, makes them suffer through drought, battles and invades neighboring countries for no apparent reason, kills the freedom of speech and tortures those who oppose him. The creepy thing about Mugabe, as my professor put it, is that he converted to Chistianity awhile back and "talks to God" on a regular basis. I don't mean he prays, because that's pretty normal. I mean he has conversations with God where God talks back, and actually tells him what to do. This man is a psychopath.

The horrors and human rights violations he's created is something we'd expect to read about during Apartheid or before, but this m an is STILL in power. Well, hopefully not for long. It turns out that in the recent elections in Zimbabwe, the opposition has taken control and might force him out.

I just wanted to write something quickly that shows my support for the electoral process. It seems like all we read about when it comes to Africa is SUdan and Rwanda and all that. Child soldiers and mud huts and the like. Zimbabwe is removed from all that being a SOuthern country, and what's going on there is just as important.

There, that's all's I got. More cartoons to come. I promise.

2 comments:

Amphetamine said...

hey, god talks to me, too.
he says "oh my me, dani, you'll be home in three weeks and you need to hang out with molly."

yeah no doubt, god. thanks for the heads up.

blanket factory said...

i almost pooped when i read this: Ohhhh Ohhhh! We're telling secrets now! Well this one ^^^^ put a personal ad in the Penny Saver describing herself as "adventurous." Mind you, what she condsiders adventure is fruit at the bottom of her yogurt!

wtf?????
amazing response.