Monday, April 7, 2008

Evening World-Herald, 1919

I was poking around the microfilm at the library the other day, and came across this stuff. It's the newspapers the day of and the day after the lynching of an innocent man back in 1919 at the Douglas County Courthouse. I thought it was interesting.


This photo ran on something like page four, although it became a much bigger deal after the fact. Bob, remember seeing this in that book Deabler had on the back shelf? It was the last page in this old book of award-winning photography. I also saw it in the National Civil RIghts Museum in Memphis last summer. Their faces make the shot.



The mayor (in the photo) was hung from a light post before someone cut him down alive.


This I love. This was the front page of the Evening World Herald the day after the riots. It's nice to see a paper take a stance against something so terrible, even if thousands of the city's citizens were involved. It's such a beautiful, simple way to note what happened. "Shamed." Notice the gun and noose at her feet.


The day this happened, the day this story ran, three insurance companies already found a way to capitalize on the tragedy by offering riot insurance.

4 comments:

Amphetamine said...

God. I've never seen that picture. Wow.

I also love the editorial cartoon. Sooo great.

Sigh.

blanket factory said...

GOKU
my mantra.

Bob Al-Greene said...

This is the best shit. I laughed out loud at RIOT insurance. Yeah, I think I wrote a column about that picture, but I don't know if it ever ran.

Awesome stuff. Journalistically speaking, of course.

blanket factory said...

thatmanwith the grinis horrifying.