Monday, October 18, 2010

Top 5 talking points with Saint Francis



I went to Assisi yesterday with my family. It was my first Euro train ride, first time in the Italian countryside, first 300 euro cab ride and first time in Italy seeing something that actually took my breath away.

Assisi is the home of Saint Francis' basilica and his final resting place; and Saint Clare's basilica and her final resting place. First we went to Saint Francis' spot. The church was amazing. Huge. Colorful. Happy. It contained the kind of joy I think Saint Francis would love.

Then we went downstairs to the original Church Saint Francis built where his grave is. After circling the grave and having a good cry, I started to have a conversation with Saint Francis. Here were the main points:

1. Because you inspire me, does that mean I have an obligation to follow you?
2. Is money evil in ALL cases, or just the power associated with it?
3. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being an example of a rebel in the Church and your community.
4. Can I really do anything?
5. Please watch over me and guide me the where I am supposed to be.

As you may notice, most of the talking points were questions. I am still waiting on the answers.

No comments: