Monday, January 24, 2011

Pete Seeger, as always, thanks



The headline of this could also be "Why some songs are more like prayer than hymns themselves."

When I'm in a funk, I try to think of what will pull me out real quick. I don't do funk. I don't do sad. So my fingers, without letting my brain come up with something, typed Pete Seeger into the search bar. This could be a dangerous choice, but my fingers were closer to my heart than to my brain.

Dangerous because Pete Seeger is more spiritual than happy. If I wanted happy, I should have gone with Tiny Tim or Buddy Holly. Pete Seeger opens your heart and if you're in a funk, you could be open enough for a dagger to get stuck in. You become raw and vulnerable.

That is why I say that he is like prayer... or even church. His music can break you down when you're alone and leave you exposed to the universe. Or, as in all of his videos, it is a communal experience where you learn about yourself and the world among other people.

Besides, he is the one who put the melody to the Bible verses that became a hit song by the Byrds "Turn, Turn, Turn." And he did popularize the hymn "How Can I Keep From Singing" so perhaps there is a literal connection.

There isn't much a point to this. And the hour-long video (above) is now over. I have been singing and whistling alone in my room, because as he said in the video "There's no such thing as a wrong note as long as you're singing."

So I'll leave you with this. My evening prayer, if you will. And I pray it for everyone who reads this. "Though it's darkest before the dawn, this thought keeps me moving on. Through all this world of joy and sorrow, we still can have singing tomorrows." I pray you all have a singing tomorrow. I will go ahead and sing myself to sleep.

Goodnight.

No comments: