Monday, January 12, 2009

The Seattle P-I is up for sale


The Seattle P-I globe in my rear-view mirror my last night in town.

I got back to my house after a weekend in Rapid City and decided to see what Seattle was up to, so I clicked onto the Seattle P-I's Web site. There, I read political cartoonist David Horsey's blog post. It said that the newspaper is being put up for sale, with the knowledge that no one will buy it. After 60 days, the paper is likely to shut down completely.

To my friends in the news business, this is a scary time for all of us, but our thoughts should be with the good people at the P-I, who work longer hours for less pay, write great stories to a hostile audience and have been the underdog for too long. To my friends in other lines of work, this is the beginning of bad things to come. Without local newspapers, there will be no checks and balances in government. There will be no voice for the voiceless. All the news will come from a select few syndicated reporters and readers and citizens will be at the greatest loss.

2 comments:

abigail said...

sadtown.

jenny. said...

i'm really sorry to hear that. detroit newspapers cut delivery to 3 days a week, and i thought that was bad...

mmmmm but I WILL ALWAYS LOVE NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES AND THE PRINTED WORD!!