Thursday, October 25, 2012

I never knew what you could do with a didgeridoo


 I tend to sometimes be over-flowery with my writing. Excessive. Embellishing. But hey, I was trained as a journalist, so it's not my fault.

I only say this so when I describe the beautiful evening I had, you won't think I am overstating it.

I was sitting with my newfound expat friends, work friends, and my roommate a stones-throw away from the Australian Prime Minister. We were sitting in folding chairs on the grass between the 5,000-year-old fort and the ancient observatory. We watched a great, great performance by Gurrumul Yunupingu who sings in a language only 2,000 people still use off the coast of Australia. We listened to Ravi Shankar's daughter play the sitar and her band play instruments I had never heard of before. All the while, brilliant artists projected 3-D images onto the observatory to make their music come alive.

Gurrumul's performance really got me. When I was little –and still now– I was never fond of the dark. So my mom bought me a little light for my room. As the paper around the light slowly turned, light shone through cutouts and I could see fish swimming across my wall as I tried to sleep.

When Gurrumul started singing his song about the fish he would catch when he was a child, water and swimming fish were projected on the observatory. Now, of course I can't compare a thirty dollar nightlight with the highest-tech projectors in India, but the same feeling of wonder and comfort came over me, listening to Gurrumul sing and seeing the fish swimming by.


And then Anushka Shankar came on, with a sitar about as big as her. It would have been hard to take my eyes off her long brown hair and sparkling gown if it weren't for the beautiful floral designs crawling and spiraling across the observatory behind her.

Truly magical. The sights, the sitar, everything.

By the end of the night that observatory had been bathed in every color of light in the rainbow. What a lucky building it is, to get dressed up for the prime minister and have such great music bouncing off it's stone walls. And how lucky we were to be there to witness it.



Here's a video that gives you an idea of what we got see and hear.

1 comment:

Anthony Hopper said...

I was never very fond of the dark either...Great blog post and photos.