Thursday, November 11, 2010

Where is God?

Yesterday, I read part of the JRS online retreat. This section spoke about God being present with the most poor. It was a reflection about God's choice to become man, and be with us as a poor person. Obviously, there are dozens of examples in the Bible about God being with the poor.

My question is this. If poor people don't feel God's presence, then what is the point? Sure, God may be there. Sure, I can (attempt to) see God in poverty because I am privileged. But if no one in these situations feels God's presence any longer, then is God still there?

How long can one continue to believe that God will exalt the poor? I can believe it my whole life, because I have been given a free ride through life. I can believe that the poor are closest to God. I can feel close to God if I choose to walk with the poor. But what about each individual? Is God there for people who don't recognize God anymore? And, if so, how?

As always, my solution is a simple one. I am going to turn on some Van Morrison and eat a stack of Chips Ahoy. Perhaps God will self-reveal through chocolate chips.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Molly-

Who would have thunk, back in the day, that you'd be traveling the world for your faith and I'd be working for the Lutheran Church...

I wrestle with this question every day, especially as I take my current students out to work with the poor and needy. I've come to the understanding that God is with the everyone, even if we choose not see His presence. I go back to a story I heard about a young girl in a third-world country who lived (literally) on a 5-mile garbage dump, digging for scrap metal with her family. She, and her entire community, built a small church (again on the dump) and this girl would lead her family in prayer, thanking God for their many blessings...

God IS there, always. Sometimes, we get too caught up in our human needs/wants/issues to be able to see him. That goes for rich or poor...