Friday, June 18, 2010

San Francisco



San Francisco... people live here!

We spend two days in sunny Oakland with Brad. Amazing. Great beer. Finally I found Trader Joe's so perhaps I can get some jelly made with grapes instead of concentrated grape juice and corn syrup.

We hung out in San Fran yesterday. We walked up and down the infamous hills and I am paying for it today. First stop was at the old Franciscan mission.

We walked all over trying to find it, and when we finally got there, Ricky refused to go in. Well, to be more accurate, he found it morally abhorrent for them to charge $3 to enter a church. I considered it a nice donation to a national landmark and went in alone.

It worked out well, actually. I was the only person inside San Francisco's oldest building, predating the Declaration of Independence. There was tons of cool old Saint Francis stuff and I was able to say a quick prayer.

I also got to tour the cemetery in the back with old 1800s graves. Pretty cool.


This is the basilica next to the mission. Big. I like the small mission instead. It feels more... Franciscan I guess.


Next we went to Haight Ashbury (no pics) and ate some of the greatest pizza on the planet. I realized in Haight Ashbury what a drag it is to hang out in a neighborhood that's only appeal is its cool shops. Since I didn't have any money, I decided not to go in, so there wasn't a lot to do.

Next was Golden Gate Park. Beautiful park in the city. We saw the cops bust a drug deal. Crazy. It was like out of a movie. One cop started chasing down a guy and before you knew it, swarms of cop cars came form all angles to stop him. It ruined my outdoor nap.

Now I am off the the Redwood Forest in honor of Woody Guthrie and then up to Eugene, CA.

No comments: