Sunday, December 9, 2012

Grandma Clare's best Thanksgiving


Fr Doll said –what feels like a million years ago– that photographers should always practice on their families. I think it's that sentiment (and getting a C on my first few assignments) that lead me to borrow a camera and digital recorder for our Thanksgiving dinner in 2008.

I recorded everything, including most family members telling me to put down the camera and help with dinner. I have the sounds of Mom boiling mushrooms, Dad carving the turkey, me pretending to wash dishes. But more importantly I got the real sounds of Thanksgiving – Abby and I trying to rig who picked who for Christmas presents, Dad giving the prayer, chit chat about Nebraska, and Grandma Clare's laugh.

I've listened to these recordings about a dozen times since leaving home and I'm so happy I have them. And since Grandma Clare has died, I am comforted to know that I get to hear her voice whenever I need a little Irish Catholic guilt humor.

I made this little slideshow from the photos I have from that day and my favorite parts of the evening. I hope you all enjoy it. 

In this Christmas season, between Thanksgiving and New Years this video reminds me of how grateful I am of my family. And I hope you all know that while I won't be home for the holidays I'll be thinking of you and talking incessantly about our wonky Christmas trees, games of Cranium and my distinct lack of "baby's first…" ornaments.

No comments: