Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Little Monsters (sorry, Lady Gaga)

So I've spent hundreds of dollars learning French since I've been in Johannesburg. So you would think after my classes at night I'd be practicing my flash cards. Well, instead I've been drawing monsters. I mean, I've been drawing les petits monstres.


James has a tail like the Cowardly Lion and has a nose that keeps growing. He got tested for cancer, and while they did find a tumor, it is benign. He enters the Kansas State Fair pie contest every year. He always places, but this strawberry rhubarb pie in the picture is his best yet. He works as an out-of-court litigator during the day and builds forts with his kids at night. He only has one tattoo and his wife doesn't like it. When she drinks too much she gets a little jealous of James' relationship with his mother. He always reminds her that he got it before they met. It's a sore issue, but they love each other.




Frank doesn't have any arms, which surprisingly hasn't kept him from fulfilling his dream as a small business owner. He invents different flavors of ice cream for his small shop in downtown Buffalo, New York. While most people bypass the city on their way to Niagara Falls, he is saving up to put up what he calls a "Bill Board Blitz." He got the idea when crossing South Dakota and was in awe of the Wall Drug advertising campaign. If you visit his shop you can see the special cooking utensils his brother-in-law built for Frank's special needs.



This is Jeanie, doing a curtsy. She is a stage performer at the University of Indiana where she majors in Basque Literature. She dyed a streak of her hair blue after breaking up with her live-in boyfriend in an attempt to reclaim her personal identity. I think it's working.

1 comment:

D. Oliver said...

Ahh!! J'ai peur! Les monstres vont me manger.

Aussi, bonjour.