Friday, March 8, 2013

What I forget about refugees



I just saw Argo with my Dad, finally. Without any trips to waterfalls or refugee camps, I am getting most of my adventure and learning experiences from the movies these days.

At the end of the film (I won't say spoiler alert because it's a 30-year-old true story), the Americans are on a plane and the stewardess said, "we have left Iranian air space." And everyone breathes an over-dramaitc Hollywood sigh of relief. 

It just makes me think of all my friends or the people I've met who have heard those words. The people I know didn't have the C.I.A. help them get out; they got themselves out. The people I know faced incredible odds and saved their own lives. 

I can't imagine hearing those words. Or hearing, "Sawasdee ka, welcome to Thailand." I can't imagine clearing Thai customs knowing you survived. I can't imagine seeing the Indian shoreline or the Statue of Liberty, and knowing that you're one step closer to being safe.

The people we work with every day in JRS and other NGOs are incredible survivors. We forget that sometimes because we see them facing a new set of difficulties. And we hear stories everyday of escape and asylum. We forget. We forget that these people made it through something that few of us ever could. 

If there were a movie about the people I've met, they'd be the heroes. 

So here's something that I thought I'd never say… Thanks Ben Afleck. Good movie.

No comments: